Sunday, April 13, 2008

Journey in Life - 10 year old left alone


Boy dumped by mum lives alone in trash-filled flat


GEORGE TOWN: Most 10-year-olds are showered with love and care, happily playing with friends without a care in the world. But not J.H. Yeap.
He cuts a forlorn figure as he sits in his Feringghi Mutiara Apartment, surrounded by a mound of stinking rubbish which covers every centimetre of the floor around him.Yeap's mother left him 18 months ago and he has no one to take care of him. He comes from a broken family and only had his mother.He does not even know if he has siblings.
To him, his brothers and sisters are the pigeons that have made the drying yard of the apartment their home."I do not know who my father is and the last time I saw my mother, she gave me an ATM (automated teller machine) card and said she would deposit RM30 a week for my expenses," said Yeap.His mother stopped depositing the RM30 into the bank account two weeks ago."I panicked when I ran out of money and began loitering in the neighbourhood to seek help. I always hoped that she would visit me but there's no news of her. I want to see her," he said in between tears.Thankfully, a good Samaritan has provided him with food for the past two weeks."He was starving so I took care of his needs," said the woman, who wished to be identified only as Lau.Asked whether she had seen Yeap's mother, Lau said: "I have not seen her. I think she has some problems, otherwise she would not have left the boy alone ."Lau has informed the state Welfare Services Department of Yeap's situation.

No comments: